Advice on Choosing the Right Lawyer for Your Case
Being arrested for a crime, or simply being under investigation for the commission of an offense, is a disturbing and fear-provoking experience. Many of us have a difficult time asking for help, but this is no time to go it alone.Your financial security, your livelihood, your freedom, and your entire way of life may be at stake.
If you are facing criminal charges, you need the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney, one who knows the law and knows the system. This is a time when only the best will do.
How Do I Figure Out Which Lawyer To Hire?
There are a number of factors that should influence your decision. While every case is unique, certain attributes should stand out in your search:
- Experience: This is no time to hire a lawyer who will use your case as a learning tool in an area in which he has had little or no experience. If you expect to put forth the best defense possible in your case, look for an attorney who has had substantial experience in criminal matters, who knows the system and knows the law, and who has worked with the criminal justice system.
- Dependability: We all know how frustrating it can be to attempt to contact someone we’ve hired, only to have our phone calls go unanswered. It is essential, given the anxiety produced by a criminal charge, that your attorney keep you advised at every step of the proceedings and respond promptly when you have questions or concerns about your case.
- Ability to Communicate: Legal matters in general, and criminal cases in particular, can be confusing to the non-lawyer. Choose an attorney who can explain to you in plain language the status of your case and his plans for your defense.
- Willingness to Go to Trial, if necessary: Some lawyers are simply afraid to go to trial. The prosecutors know who they are, and the entire process, including whether charges will or will not be dropped, and whether plea offers will be reasonable from your point of view, is influenced by your attorney’s reputation as a fighter or as one who simply wants to dispose of the case to avoid a trial.
- Personal Service: What a disappointment it would be to hire the lawyer you think is perfect for your case, only to be shuttled to some junior attorney you’ve never met when the time comes to go to court. You want to retain the lawyer who will actually be there, to advise you, and to represent you at all phases of the proceeding.
Phoenix Criminal Defense Lawyer – David A. Black
At the Law Office of David A. Black, we have the experience necessary to handle your case and bring you the best possible result. Mr. Black, a former prosecutor, devotes his practice primarily to criminal matters. He has substantial trial experience, and he is not afraid to go to trial to defend your case, if necessary. He will be with you every step of the way as you move through the process, and will communicate with you in a language that you and your family can understand. Mr. Black handles most types of criminal matters, including the following, among others:
- Drug Charges
- Drunk Driving (DUI)
- Parole and Probation Violations
- Domestic Violence
- White Collar Crimes
- Internet Crimes
- Criminal Appeals
- Federal Crimes
Contact Mr. Black today at (480) 280-8028 for a free, confidential consultation. He will give you the advice you need in language you can understand.
July 17, 2014