In Arizona, being convicted of a domestic violence offense can ruin lives. Whether you face a felony or a misdemeanor charge, the Law Offices of David A. Black has the experience and resources to handle your domestic violence case with the care, consideration and confidentiality that you’d expect from an expert Phoenix domestic violence lawyer.
You have a chance to domestic violence charges in court, but you need a criminal lawyer to fight on your behalf. In many cases, the victim of the crime ends up supporting the accused in the case. We can help you get through this and on with your life.
- Obey the no contact order, if there is one. People accused of domestic violence are often ordered not to contact the victim. Take this very seriously, even if you are on good terms with the victim. This includes phone and e-mail contact. It is best to keep your distance until the case has been resolved.
- Do not discuss your case with police. Always remember that it is their job to build a case of evidence against you. Speaking with them about your case is not in your best interest, and you have the right not to.
- Resist the urge to defend yourself in court. Too many people think that they will be exonerated in court if they just tell the truth. Even if the truth is on your side, it is rarely enough in court. Hire a competent lawyer to represent you to make sure that the truth prevails.
- Record what happened. Memory can fail you, especially in a traumatic experience. Take notes of what happened and remember not to share them with anyone but your attorney. They will help you in your defense.
- Do not use alcohol or drugs. Drug use can be used to build the prosecution’s case against you. In some cases, the consequences for a conviction may be worse if these substances are involved. You may be required to submit to drug testing as a part of the investigation. Do not use drugs, and discontinue any activity that could damage your case.
- Secure your finances. You and the victim may share a bank account. If you are at odds with the victim, it is best to settle your finances early. Your attorney will advise you of the best way to do it.
Phoenix Domestic Violence Defense Attorney
Having a well-qualified Phoenix domestic violence attorney by your side can mean the difference between spending time in jail and spending time with your family. As a result, it’s imperative that you hire an attorney as soon as you’re accused of domestic violence – don’t wait for the charges to drop. The sooner you call Mr. Black, the sooner he can help you get your life back on track.
Some of the types of cases we handle include:
- Violations of orders of protection
- Violations of restraining orders
- Child abuse
- Criminal damage
Call us now at (480) 280-8028 for a free, confidential consultation. In just a few minutes, we can help you determine the best course of action. You’ll always be treated with the respect you deserve, and we operate under the belief that all of our clients are innocent until proven guilty (and all appeals have been exhausted). We leave the judgment for the courts, not our clients.
We know that many times, these cases sound much worse than they actually are. Throwing a phone, having a simple argument or getting in a heated one – if someone calls the police, it could result in an arrest for domestic violence. Allow us to look at your case. Contact us today. With Mr. Black on your side, you have someone fighting to prove your innocence.