By all accounts, July was just an average month for crime in Phoenix, Arizona. Nothing spectacular if you simply look at the various headlines. But dig a little deeper, and you’ll find some of the strangest behavior you can imagine among the residents of our fair city. While we understand that many crimes include aspects that are unfortunate, and in some cases tragic, we think you’ll agree that there is a weird, and sometimes humorous side, to many of these incidents:
- Forklift DUI. It was a fairly typical DUI story. A man driving a vehicle, who was pulled over by police, said he was just trying to get home from a party at about 2:00 a.m. Of course, this was no ordinary vehicle, but rather a forklift police say the driver had just stolen from a Scottsdale construction site. The stop took place in Old Town, and the driver was arrested for DUI.
- Loud mouth DUI. After being stopped and eventually arrested for drunk driving in Gilbert, a woman chose to voice her “political views.” According to police, she said that she was glad the firefighters killed in the Yarnell Hill fire were white. During the conversation, she apparently slammed a door into one of the officers, adding assault to her list of charges.
- How many beers? A man admitted to getting drunk prior to being found slumped over his steering wheel. He ran out of gas and passed out (or passed out and ran out of gas) near 23rd Avenue. Police claim the man admitted drinking a six-pack of beer, but this was apparently just an appetizer – he says the six-pack was followed up by an 18-pack.
- Medical methamphetamine? A Mesa man, confronted by police after causing a scene at a gas station, claimed that he had a permit for several bags of meth that he was allegedly carrying.
- Cops, guns and booze. Another case that wasn’t all that unusual took place in Tucson. It wasn’t all that unusual, that is, until you found out the identity of the players. The scene took place inside a gas station, where a drunk man in a bullet proof vest was pointing a gun at the sales clerk. He was eventually found in a nearby apartment complex, and was identified as an off-duty Tucson police officer. The officer was charged with two counts of aggravated assault.
- She yanked on what? It was a tough day for a Phoenix man, hospitalized after an argument with his wife. The argument apparently went from verbal to physical when the woman allegedly yanked on the man’s testicles, tearing his scrotum. The woman now faces two unspecified felony charges. According to court documents, the woman may have a drinking problem.
We never cease to be amazed at the behavior that results from taking an ordinary situation and feeding it with an overabundance of alcohol.
Law Offices of David A. Black
40 North Central Avenue #1850
Phoenix, AZ 85004